Teflon Fumes Killed His Bird, Reader Warns


DEAR ABBY: I am heartsick as I write this. I have just lost the closest thing in this world to me outside my immediate family. I just buried my sweetie-pie Sandy, an Amazon parrot I have had for 26 years. That's longer than my two sons lived with me.

Sandy died because I burned a Teflon pan, and learned the hard way that Teflon fumes are deadly to birds. (They can also be harmful to small children.)

Bird owners, if you're considering buying a Teflon product, please reconsider. If you own one, get rid of it. If I can save just one person the grief I'm going through, it will make me feel better. Yes, I know I'll get over this -- but it won't be easy.

Bob in Atlanta

DEAR BOB: Please accept my condolences for the loss of your pet. I'm sure this experience has been painful for you. I am printing your letter as a warning to other bird owners, as well as parents of small children. Thank you for writing.


1820 Arnold Industrial Way, Suite N
Concord, CA 94520 (Map It)

From HWY 4 Exit Solano Way
We're Located Just Across From The Drive In Theatre

New Store Hours

Now Open 7 Days a Week

11AM to 6PM

Sign Up for Newsletter